You’ve thought long and hard and are ready to take the plunge. You are prepared to try for pregnancy. What are the next steps towards preparing for carrying your little one? Here are my top 5 tips to optimize your mind and body for pregnancy.
- See your Obstetrician/Gynecologist for your Annual Well Women Visit. Let her know you are ready for pregnancy. She will review your medical history and focus on what needs to be addressed to be at your best. If you have not established care with a delivering provider, now is the time to start a relationship. Call your insurance provider and confirm your pregnancy coverage. Make sure your provider’s preferred provider is covered by your insurance and the hospital where they delivered.
- Start a prenatal vitamin. We recommend your prenatal has Folate 800 mcg or more and DHA 200mg or more. It’s ok to start prenatal care, but it provides the most support when started three months or more before conceiving.
- Get moving! Exercise is such an essential part of pregnancy. We know women who start a workout regimen before conception and continue exercising through pregnancy increase their chances of vaginal birth, have shorter labor times, and have fewer vulvar lacerations at the time of delivery.
- Review your family’s diet. This means you AND your partner. Work on eating more fruits and vegetables, with emphasis on the veggies. Avoid fast and overly processed foods such as items that come in boxes and bags. Read your food labels and avoid excess “added sugar” over 10 grams.
- Avoid excess alcohol, tobacco, and THC products. Ask your partner to do the same. Specifically, marijuana products will reduce sperm count.
We are excited to see you for your pre-conception visit and plan how to prep you and your family for this next significant chapter in your life!
*All blogs are for educational purposes only. Please, discuss your personal medical story with one of our providers for further direction